Online ESL Teacher Interview Questions and Answers
The first thing you need to know about the online ESL teacher interview questions and answers is that this type of interview is not the same as a formal interview. It is much more laid back. The question and answer portion of the interview lasts 5 to 10 minutes. Here are some example questions:
- Do you have any teaching experience or experience working with kids?
- Do you have experience teaching ESL online?
- What is your degree in?
- Can you teach during the peak hours Beijing time Monday-Friday 6-9pm, and Saturday-Sunday 9am–9pm?
- What would you do if a student is having a hard time focusing on the material?
- How would you handle it if a student didn’t understand the vocabulary you were introducing?
- What would you do if the student was not responding to your questions?
- Now you will do a 10-20 minute teaching demo. During the demo we expect you to use ESL strategies and props. Do you have any questions before we start the demo?
What to expect in your online esl teacher interview
What to expect in your online ESL teacher interview includes the questions above and then you will do a teaching demo. The teaching demo is a major part of what determines your pay.
You need to practice before the interview to ensure you feel confident and prepared. I highly suggest practicing your demo several times so that you internalize the steps.
How to ace the online esl teaching interview
Doing well on the demo leads to getting hired and getting a higher pay rate. Be sure to get a coach so that you can find out the tips on how to ace your demo.
I coach for four schools:
I am creating a digital course for online ESL teachers to be successful in the industry. Part of my course will incorporate a training for how to ace the interview. If you are completely new to teaching or even new to teaching online, I will provide a step-by-step training on how to do the demo. I’ll show you what to do from beginning to end. You’ll see a demonstration from me, then you’ll imitate me. This is the best way to learn because it allows you to internalize the teaching style that online ESL schools are looking for.
The application process for online esl teachers
The application process includes
- Filling out an online application
- Scheduling an interview
- Doing an interview and demo class
- Video trainings from the online ESL school and quizzes that follow the trainings
- Filling in your profile information
- introduction video for parents and students to get to know you
- bio that includes information about your teaching background
- upload your passport, TESOL, and diploma or transcripts
- Teach your first class
the best times to apply to be an online esl teacher
I think the best time to apply is April-May and August-September. Applying at those times allows you to get into the system before the summer when students take a lot of classes and before the beginning of the school year and Chinese new year. January-February are the slowest times of year, which will be the lowest bookings.
the best online esl schools to apply to
Each school has it’s benefits and drawbacks. You cannot always let reviews dictate your choice. It’s just like anything else, choose a school that fits best for you. Some things to consider:
- Do you want to teach kids?
- Most online ESL schools have classes for kids
- Do you want to teach adults?
- Palfish and iTutorGroup offer lessons for adults
- Do you like to be super animated when you teach or do you prefer to be more laid back?
- VIPKID likes more animated teachers for the interview, but once you start teaching you can use more of your own style
- Gogokid is somewhat similar to VIPKID, but not as intense. The interview process is much more laidback
- iTutorGroup is also more laid back for the interview and teaching style
- PalFish has the most laidback interview of all because you do a recorded demo
- Do you want to do one-on-one classes or group classes?
- VIPKID and Gogokid have one-on-one lessons
- iTutorGroup and Palfish have both one-on-one and group lessons
opportunities in the online esl teaching industry
If you are interested, there are many opportunities in the online ESL teaching industry which allow you to make this a full-time career. Some of these opportunities include:
- Curriculum Writing
- Special Projects
- Company Representative/Brand Ambassador
- Lecture classes
If you are just getting started and want to build your confidence, be sure to join the waitlist for my course.